Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Happy Birthday Lucy

Five years ago today, your daddy handed you to me in the wee hours of the morning.  I was overcome with joy at the sight of your beautiful face.  You were everything I had hoped for and asked for and wished for.  You were perfect.  You snuggled in my arms immediately and started making cooing noises.  I liked you coming early in the morning because it gave us a few hours to be just the three of us.  It gave us time to stare and marvel at you before the rush of everyone else.


You turned five years old today.  Emma Jane was five when we brought you home from the hospital.  She was five and a half and so excited to be a big sister.


We have watched you grow and change.



We have watched you become mischievous...


 We have watched you sit in a laundry basket with your sister and watch TV...because that is what sisters do.


 You still suck your thumb, even though you said you were going to stop.  You still are shy around people you don't know or think you don't know.  But around family you will not stop talking.  You talk in a random stream of thoughts that no one can keep up with.  We were giggling in the car on the way home from dinner because one non sequitur was followed by another.  It was like changing the television channel.

You are very smart.  You are messy, head strong, independent, loving and kind.  You think that your sister is the most perfect person who has ever walked the face of the earth.  You worship her and idolize her and want to be her yet want to be completely your own person.  

I recently wrote you a letter that I reread today.  It rings so true.  Our family would not have been complete without you.  You have your sister and she has you.  I am amazed at how well the two of you play together.  I know how lucky we are.  I have been told twice in the last two weeks what wonderful girls I have and how lucky I am that you get along so well.  I am lucky.


 My girls have each other.  I hope you celebrate your 75th birthday with your sister, Lucy.


We started our day with a candle.


And we ended our day with a candle.  That's two wishes...  Goodnight my five year old.  I love you more than Chemistry.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my...the cake picture. Is that what Mike would have looked like at the same age with hair?????

    ReplyDelete