Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Far Away But Close in Spirit

I am missing my family tonight.  I am in Canada for work.  I have needed this down time desperately, needed to stop and catch my breath and go to bed early and take a break from tucking people in at night and bedtime stories and picking up toys, but nevertheless, I miss them.  I miss them so much.

Today in the airports I was distracted by all the families.  Instead of reveling in the alone time, I kept looking at the families and thinking I wonder where they are going.  The conversation on the plane naturally turned to those I was leaving behind.  I carry them with me always.

I was talking with my mom the other day on the phone about how much compassion my girls have.  Our girls have a sense of others that is, in my opinion, beyond their age.  Emma Jane has always been sensitive to others and the one to gather the outliers on a playground or quick to put herself in another person's shoes.  But just the other day, Lucy said to her grandmother, "you know that hat you gave me for Christmas last year Grandma?  I just haven't had a chance to wear it yet.  It isn't because I don't like it."  She wanted to make sure that her Grandma knew that she liked it.  My mom thought that was unusual for a then 4 year old to bring up in conversation.  I do, too.

In the car on the way to drop me off at the airport this morning, Lucy said she was going to miss me, then immediately said she was going to miss her sissy too.  Emma Jane is going off to camp this week and Lucy will be without her companion and best friend.  I dare say that this will be harder on her than my absence will be.  She looks up to her sister for so much.  It will be good for both of them.  Emma will get some much needed peer time away from the imaginative play of a 5 year old.  And Lucy will get to rule the roost at home.  She will get to do things her way and get to be her own boss.  But she will feel her absence, too.

Mike, we are doing a wonderful job raising our daughters to be amazing young ladies.  Their thoughtfulness is apparent and the way that they take care of each other and get along with each other is to be commended.  Times like these when we have babysitters on call in the middle of the night and we think we aren't going to make it, we should be proud of what we have done.  I am so proud of us.  I know this week will be tough for you.  I love you.  I will be home soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment