Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Candy Houses

Right before Christmas we were invited to yet another epic event put on by Mr. John Gee and his momma "Nan".  They are the ones responsible for the amazing Greek party I blogged about here.

Much like the Greek party, the candy house party was for the children.  But I must confess that the adults enjoyed this as much as the kids.  We were told to bring boxes for the base and told that "less was more" in this case.  These were not going to be edible houses, merely decorated houses.  Nan was busy making the plaster when we arrived.


Soon she enlisted help from Uncle Danny.


The rest of us started to assemble our boxes onto cardboard bases.  I found out quickly that I had broken several rules by bringing box tape, a box tape dispenser and a box knife.  I was chastised publicly and was just starting to feel like a cheater, when THIS walks in...


Wait just a doggone minute...that is a pre-fab!  You can't bring in a pre-fab candy house to a candy house making party.  You have to start from scratch!  He walked in with a double-wide-4-bedroom-3-bath ranch style pre-fab with a wrap around porch and an outdoor kitchen!  And I got in trouble for bringing box tape??????

Anyway, I channeled my outrage inward and had a beer and started taking pictures.  I did not decorate.  My job was to document the construction process.

There was lots of candy.


So there was quite a bit of sneaky snacking while the decorating went down.


The parents and children were covered in powdered sugar.


These little cereal square (above) were Lucy's favorite.  John if you have any left over bags we'll take 'em off your hands...






He is working on his pre-fab...  Just wait until next year.  I am going to roll in with one so close to being finished all it will need is licorice molding and a caramel mail box.

This was such a great night.  The parents were just as into this as the kids.  I discovered so many new uses for Oreos.  Little Bug sampled a few.


Lucy had some ideas about what her daddy should do to "her" house based on what the neighbors were doing. 


"Oh sweet daddy, see that outdoor kitchen over there that they have?  Could you build that for me on my house...?"


My sweet artist/architect at work.


Now for the houses...


I love the picket fence and the front awning on Emma's house.


There was no covenant in this neighborhood...anything goes.


The house pictured above was Lucy's (read Mike's) that she completed almost completely on her own.





Below is our host, John, whose house was covered in powered sugar cement when we left.  The gal with him holding the red solo cup is my sister from another mother, Amy.  She and I are convinced we must be related in some way.  (Sorry Amy but the other photo, in which I told you to put down your red solo cup, is just not as good as this one...trust me sista)


And below is the picture of most of the crew...I had a little bit of trouble getting them all in the photo.


Thank you John and Carol for another memorable event that my kids will be talking about until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment