Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mrs. Shepherd

We recently went to a Mayo teacher's house for a dinner party.  Mrs. Shepherd taught Emma Jane and recently retired from Mayo but substitute teaches so frequently that Lucy knows her and loves her.  She donates a dinner for 12 lucky couples to raise money for the school and this is the first year we have been lucky enough to attend.  The dinner was last Saturday night and it was fabulous.

Upon arriving I immediately regretted not bringing my camera.  You know me with my camera.  But my subject is usually the girls and they were not with us, so I didn't even think about bringing it.  The first thing you notice when you get to Mrs. Shep's house is the art.  It is an art gallery.  And the featured artist in residence is her daughter Hannah Shepherd.  She is a remarkable artist and I feel sure that we will be seeing more of her work earn broader recognition some day.

They had wonderful food and plenty of adult beverages to choose from.  The parents in attendance were an interesting mix with kids from different age groups and interests.  There were some teachers and the principal was there.  The weather was perfect for sitting out on her beautiful deck.  Her husband Scott is very personable and dynamic (and very good at making bar-b-Que).  They have an OU basement and TV room with a couple of kegs.  What more could you want in the event of a tornado...OU sports and beer?   

Mrs. Shepherd made these amazing cupcakes and gave us these party favors that were Mayo drinking glasses.  When Lucy saw the glasses this morning she was reminded of our dinner with Mrs. Shepherd.  She started to ask me some questions about having dinner with her teacher.

Lucy:  Mom?  How was dinner with Mrs. Shepherd?

Me:  It was great!

Lucy:  Did you sit beside her or across from her?

Me: Both.  Sometimes I sat across from her, but sometimes I sat beside her.

Lucy:  (With a knowing grin on her face she says) So when you sat beside her you weren't following directions were you, Mommy.  When she asks you to sit beside her is when you can't sit criss-cross apple-sauce or follow directions.  It's okay...I sometimes have to sit next to her too.

I love that four year old brain...


3 comments:

  1. soon to be a 5 year old brain.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her and Im glad you posted today, I've been missing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog, Emily. And yes Lucy, I remember your mother. We, sometimes, had to be reminded to listen too. I am so thankful for creative, giving people. Love you Emily.

    ReplyDelete