Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Let the Television Be Your Guide

I don't like SpongeBob SquarePants.  Quite a number of years ago, when Emma Jane was 3 or 4, I turned on an episode and was offended by something.  I can't remember what.  I don't remember what offended me but I remember finding the cartoon objectionable and thinking it was inappropriate for her to watch.  I turned it off.

And apparently I hold grudges against cartoons because I have never given him another chance.  That is unlike me.  I sometimes try pickles just to see if I like them yet.  I still don't.  So whenever SpongeBob would come on the station we were watching I would turn it.  I do not believe that I ranted or raved about my dislike.  After all, I really can't remember why I disliked it so.  But apparently my kids have heard the message loud and clear.

Today as Lucy was on the up swing of her illness and I was just on the rapid decent into mine, I laid down for a nap.  I turned on Nick Jr. and told her to come get me if she needed anything.  Max and Ruby were on.  What a sweet show. 

I must have fallen deep into sleep because it took me several times of her saying Mommy, Mommy for me to focus on what she was saying.  She said, "Mommy, I need you."  I said, "What do you need baby?"  She said, "I need you to turn the channel."  I told her that I couldn't make it to the living room as bad as I was feeling at the moment and could she just be happy with what was on. 

With a pitiful, still scratchy, voice she squeaked out, "But SpongeBob is on the TV and I don't know how to change the channel."  I smiled into my pillow and said, "It's okay baby...you can watch it this time."

About 20 minutes later I woke up to see her sitting in the chair beside my bed.  She was sucking her thumb and had been crying.  When I saw that she had been crying I jumped out of bed and knelt down in front of her and asked her what was wrong.  She said, "You need to go to the hospital."  I told her that I would be okay that I didn't need to go to the hospital. 

She said, "But you must be REALLY SICK, because you let me watch SpongeBob!"


No comments:

Post a Comment