Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Car shopping

For quite a while now, my 10 year old Volvo has been acting up.  It is also not big enough in the back for my two girls and my third kid "sophie" who lives down the street and is often in the car with us.  So I have been in the market for a new vehicle (gently used) that can hold my girls, their friends, and all the car seats.

My dream vehicle is a Honda Element.  I am one of those people that thinks that what kind of vehicle you drive says something about you.  It speaks to your personality. 

Like this Mazda...

 Or this sexy Buick Enclave




Or this sporty Audi


Or how about this car...it says, I like to kayak down rivers, but don't mind getting stuck in the mud next to the river...





But the vehicle that best describes my personality is a Honda Element.  It says I like dogs and camping. 

 It says I'm sexy and sporty



And with the perfect personalized license plate, it says, I am a bigger Dork than YOU!


I have been dreaming of owning an element since they first came out.  I had all of my choices written out for my personalized license plate.  You have to submit 5 choices to the Tag Agency and it has to be 7 letters or numbers.  So here were mine:

LMNTL (elemental)
C6H12O6 (sugar) - the color of element I wanted was the color of blue cotton candy
H (hydrogen)
602 E23 (this is Avogadro's number 6.02 x 10 to the 23rd and it is the basis for the entire periodic table)
CARBON (if I got a black one...duh)
ETOHIC (EtOH is alcohol, and the ic makes it say Alcoholic.  So I know what you are thinking..."she would get pulled over a lot"  But really? think about it?  Would the police get that?  My guess is nope.

I have more, but I think you get the idea.

So then I discover that the back seat only holds two kiddos.  The back seats split and can only hold two kids (2 seat-belts, not 3).  So because I am looking for more room, not less, I am giving up my dream of driving around in my very own element.  Sniff, sniff...(tears on the keyboard).

So, I have narrowed it down to two vehicles...

A Chrysler Town and Country:

Or a Ford Flex


I am having a really difficult time pulling the plug on a minivan.  Even typing it is difficult.  I am not a minivan kind of girl.  I don't have a minivan personality.  I don't wear knit pants or shop at Wal Mart!  I am kind of freaking out!  But I want your opinion, please.  Take one for the team and get the girls a vehicle that they never want to exit?  Or be selfish and buy a car that still allows me some swagger in the car pool lane?

Speaking of swagger...you have to see this video...

http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4

Please let me know what think.












5 comments:

  1. Excuse me? Do I wear knit pants and shop at Wal Mart? No, I drive a hot red vintage sports car that HAPPENS to be disguised as a minivan. Mazda MPV 160,000 miles and still goin' (knock wood). Never have to worry about the kids door dinging' someone in the parking lot. Room for three kids and (now that E. can sit in front) three friends. I pray it will last a little longer. Plus with a minivan, I never have to worry about anyone checking me out. It's a vehicular burka that grants invisibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm cracking up at the above comment. You will rock either vehicle! I completely understand the mini van mentality though. Can't wait to see what you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Lindsey, I have been giggling about the vehicular burka since it was posted...thanks Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both the Town and Country and the Flex.

    The Flex has REALLY grown on me a lot since it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up, Emily... TOTALLY! :D Anyway, I've read your decision, so I guess I won't give you my 2 pennies worth ;)

    ReplyDelete