Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My Eldest

My eldest is leaving Mayo this week.  Amid the chaos of this last month I have been trying to pin down exactly how I feel about this milestone.  As always, I am reflective; more reflective than most, I imagine.  I tend to over think and over analyze and hash and rehash things in order to give myself insomnia, you see. 

In her early years at Mayo I watched her struggle with learning to write and her frustration with learning to read.  We really struggled with reading.  She, at times, hated to read.  Tears of frustration and many nights of exasperation were experienced in our home while trying to sound out words.  And I am not a patient teacher.  She would start sounding out the word with the last letter in the word instead of the first.  She would skip completely the middle section of words.  I was convinced she had a reading disorder.  She either did not, or has compensated for it.  I write this down so that I will remember this when it comes to Lucy and so that I will remember how far Emma has come.  EMMA HAS NOT ALWAYS LOVED READING.  In fact, she despised reading.  Then in 4th grade Mike rescued the Science Encyclopedia's from the dumpsters at school and she couldn't be stopped.  Then in the fifth grade she rediscovered fiction.  Now she is unstoppable. She walks around with her nose in a book and said to me just the other day, "I would rather read a book than watch the movie for it.  The book is always so much better."  It was a happy day for me!  Thank you Lucy Piper and Mayo!

Tomorrow will be the last day my girls will ever go to school in the same building. I don't know why that makes me so sad, but it does.  I took comfort in knowing they were together these last two years.  In the car on the way home from school Lucy would say "Sissy, I saw you on my way to Art today."  Or one time when Lucy fell on the stairs and Emma heard her, she was able to ask permission to leave class and run to her and comfort her.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEibY1FNwFyvYUrW4242OxIuKZveysmOhyphenhyphenMY6vj4QE5YMRcnquyM69H4B9GvXjLEK4LSPAizOGJUdgY_77U28_ZM77Wy3vFZ6bj5mgsLcc4Wxkdns39DIdydW2plaPGVLv6gSzf8pNpsSTKa/s1600/photo4.JPG

My Dear Emma,
I am so proud of you.  I could not ask for a more compassionate, thoughtful child.  You have learned so much in the last 7 years; from not being able to write the alphabet to being a more creative writer than some adults I know.  And I can't wait to see what the next 7 years hold in store for you.  These will be years of great change for you.  Hold on to your sense of right and wrong.  Stay true to your self and be who you want to be and not who others want you to be.  Stay quirky and may you always love reading and chess and problem solving and sewing and science and earthworms and astronomy and crafting and drawing and gymnastics and sailing and swimming.  Stand up for others who can't stand up for themselves.  Remember Lucy looks up to you and still needs your attention.  Never forget how much your father and I love you.  We are here for you always.  As you walk across the stage tonight to promote from fifth grade, know that no one in the room could be more proud than I am.  My heart is bursting with love and pride for you.  I wish you could know how many hopes and dreams you have already fulfilled.  I love you so much.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment