Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sometimes I Over Answer

Sometimes I over answer questions.  Like the answer to the question "What is mass?"

Recently, Emma Jane was reading the book The Island of the Blue Dolphins.  It is a story about a girl who is left behind to survive on her own for years on an island in the pacific.  We were both reading the book and Emma Jane finished it before me.  I finished the book after she went to bed the other night and she is required to bring this book to class each day.  The next morning while I was buckling Lucy into her car seat, Emma came out of the house to the driveway and asked, "Mom?  Where is the Island of the Blue Dolphins?"

Without looking up from what I was doing I answered, "It is 75 miles off the coast of California in a group of islands called the Channel Islands."

Emma said, "What?"

I said "It is 75 miles off the coast of California in the Pacific Ocean in a group of islands called the Channel Islands."   I thought that adding the part about the Pacific Ocean might clarify things for her.

She said, "No.  The book, The Island of the Blue Dolphins."

I said, "Oh.  Next to the recliner."

Sometimes I over answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment