Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The view from here

I am sitting on a rock atop the Heavener Runestone State Park. I'm watching the buses wind along the road below me. I am alone save for the hawk catching a thermal above me. I can see the whole town where I spent so much of my life. I just heard the train blow it's horn. That sound is the soundtrack to my childhood. When you grow up in a railroad town with a railroad dad, that sound is bringing your dad home to you or taking him away.

I can see the water tower and the HS gymnasium where I once tripped over the half court line on the basketball court. I see the Kiamichi Mountains in the hazy distance.

The train just sounded its horn again...time to go.

All my childhood friends and my brothers are in my thoughts today. I miss you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment