Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Long day

After a long day of working in the yard, I am sitting on the deck watching the chiminea burn. The hot tub is ready (I'm just waiting for the girls to settle in for the night). Those are my peonies cut from my front yard. And yes, Greg, there is a fire mat under the chiminea so as not to set the deck on fire.

There are Baltimore Oriole's singing from the top of the oak tree above me. The yard looks fantastic thanks to much hard work by Mike and me. We had to put chicken wire around the garden today. A rabbit is getting all my lettuce and tomato plants and the tops of Emma's carrots. We shall see if this helps.

I am not sure the girls really understand that the plants that will bear tomatoes, peppers and carrots are the same plants we started from seeds in the kitchen. It seems a stretch to them. They don't quite grasp the whole photosynthesis thing.

The other day in the "mini van", Emma Jane said to me, "Mom, there are five reasons I would not want to be a tree. One, the whole making oxygen all day would get tiresome. Two, you would have to stand outside all day in the heat or in the snow. Three, people pick your fruit you worked so hard to make. Four, you can't dance. And five, dogs pee on you."

Ah, the sun is going down and Lucy has not gotten out of bed in at least 10 minutes...hot tub time. Goodnight

1 comment:

  1. The peonies are gorgeous! They are my favorite flowers. I need to plant some at the new house.

    ReplyDelete